Sunday, January 3, 2010

trading places

Wait until you see how clever that title actually is!

I've been all over the place since my last post, surprise surprise, catching up with friends and family. That occasionally includes having a beer, surprise surprise. Before I get into the actually interesting beers I've tried during my adventurous winter break, I'm just going to put out there that a few beers never made my list despite having had them before, but I had them again in the past week, so they're official now: Miller Lite, the Earp family standard issue (see Christmas, for example); Red Stripe, which I've listed as "another non-descript lager"; and Miller High Life, which was actually my first beer ever. (Note about Miller Lite-- I think I understand why that is my family's light beer of choice, it really is ridiculously smooth!)

Now, Paul and I have been unable to meet up so I could tell him in person that he is now a few beers behind me, even with his last post. (See?! See! My clever title?! He's behind and I'm ahead! I said I'd do it by New Year's...) The reason we've been unable to meet up is also because we've traded places-- over and over and over again. I spent the last two weekends in Northern Virginia. He spent the last two weekends in New Jersey. I mean, even to the point where I drove back to Jersey last night, but he had only come up for the day and was heading back down when I called him. RIDICULOUS. But, here are the interesting things I've tried in the meantime:

Pinkus Organic Hefe-weizen: this is a pretty good hef, although has a bit more bite than some others I've tried lately, not as smooth. Tasted very good though!

Redbridge Gluten Free Lager: I'd file this under "non-descript lager" but it's worth mentioning just how not bad it is. Like, you can actually serve this to your friends who are gluten intolerant. Apparently it's made from sorghum, whatever, tastes like beer to me. I am grateful that my body processes wheat and barley though, not just because I enjoy a good beer, but as a general rule.

Moreland's Old Speckled Hen: This one has an interesting story. This appeared at a family gathering today because of its history which basically comes down to the MG, which my uncle has owned and restored a few of over the years. The beer was brewed in honor of the factory's 50th anniversary. There was a car they used to run around the factory which was called the "Owld Speckl’d Un" because it was splatted in paint. Read that to yourself out loud with some sort of British accent. You get it now.

Unfortunetly, this beer was a bit outdated. It seemed pretty smooth and drinkable under the unfortunate air of SKUNK. Its label says "crafted fine ale", and it's all sorts of British, so I imagine it's not so bad... it has subsequently been noted as "skunked-- try again?"

But for now, that leaves the count at Colleen 172, Paul 169. I'm sure we'll trade places again soon enough. Tomorrow I officially start getting that masters thesis thing together... but till we meet/trade places again,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment