Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dinner with Michael

So Colleen has been surging into the lead, and I need to do something about this. Even with my updated entry, this will be the largest lead either of us has posted. Obviously, our "competition" is mostly friendly, but we'd both be lying if there wasn't a small competitive aspect to this thing. I guess this means, I need to spend more time trying beers than playing BridgeCraft. If it sounds like WarCraft, don't worry. It's a game where you build bridges for little cartoony characters to cross, therefore it's obviously much cooler and socially acceptable. I am such an engineer.

In any event, my good friend Mike was in my neck of the woods this evening. We've been good friends since high school, we did cross country/winter track/spring track together. And by this I mean, we ran about every step of distance runs and work outs side-by-side. If that sounds cute, don't worry - we're much more ridiculous in real life. In any event, he was on business in Baltimore and had a free evening so he decided to pay a visit. We went to FireFlies in Del Ray. I've been there before, as I've mentioned it in previous posts. I'm finding it's a great place to take visitors.

Dinner was a fun time. We talked about most things guys talk about: women, work, beer, and how best to eat nails for breakfast. Ok, maybe the first two were exaggerations for us, but the important part for the purpose of this blog is the beer.

Left Hand Deep Cover Brown Ale: My first thoughts on this Brown Ale, which generally go down very smooth, was that it was forgettable. It just didn't jump out at me: as a beer in general or as a Brown Ale.

Founders Porter: I alwaysenjoy the chance to try another Porter. This one was pretty good, and it went down well with the wrap I was eating for dinner. It was certainly very rich, and I detected some chocolate malts in the brew. My findings at ratebeer.com confirm these asessments. I definitely need to have this again.

If there's anything Colleen and I want to achieve through this blog it's: 1) Identify good beers, 2) Identify good brewers, 3) Identify bad beers, 4) Be able to recommend a large variety of beers to family and friends, and 5) Have more beers than the other. Though, as a friend told me recently, when the score reaches 308-303, this will be rather ridiculous.

Until Then, Cheers!
Paul


The Scorecard:
Colleen: 190
Paul: 174

P.S. If it's not becoming apparent to the readers who don't know me, a lot of what I post outside of beer reviews is very tongue in cheek/sarcastic.

3 comments: