Monday, October 29, 2012

The Definitive Guide to Pumpkin Beers, Part II

This post is a little more relevant, since I tried this within the past month and have all of my notes!

Before Mike came to spend his two week break in New Jersey, he was lamenting about missing out on fall-- apple cider, changing leaves, and of course, pumpkin stuff. I responded by acquiring a mixed six pack of just pumpkin beers to sample while he was home from Arizona.

Saranac: This was kind of how I expect Saranac beers to be-- pretty good, but not incredible. Accessible but not earth shattering. This was a pumpkin ale for sure, but neither the pumpkin nor the spices were particularly strong (nor was the ale in general). This one might be good for people who want to be festive but who don't care to commit to drinking pumpkin pie all night.

Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale: Upon trying this again (it was already on the list!), I decided I don't really care for this. My notes read, "No thanks. Sweet and weird."

Blue Point: I chose this one because I liked their Toasted Lager. Mike's assessment was that it was dry. I found it to just not have much going on. I just didn't taste much, it's very mild.

Buffalo Bill's: a little sweet, but pretty good

Smuttynose: spiced well, better than Weyerbacher but not as good as Wolaver

Shipyard Pumpkinhead: This one remained consistent from whenever I first added it to my list! Very sweet, but great spices. This is good, but I couldn't do too many of them.

Post Road: I didn't know this was Brooklyn Brewery until I looked it up just now, but that explains a lot! This was a fine beer. GOOD. You can taste the pumpkin and spice, but it's not really sweet.

Wolaver's: I bought this one because I loved the oatmeal stout they make, and I'm not opposed to organic products (in this case, the organic label for Otter Creek). I was not disappointed. This is pretty much my ideal pumpkin beer, more resembling vegetable pumpkin than dessert pumpkin. Awesome.


We are all safe and sound here in Ocean County, NJ, having lost and regained power. It's been flickering but I thought I'd finish this post before we lose it again, which we think we might. We have a lot of branches down, high winds, and water is pooling anywhere it can, but overall, we're doing just fine. My baby brother has joined us from the barrier island, which I'm really happy about, and brought with him two packs of pumpkin beer, which I'm also totally ok with, so I suppose there will be more posts in this series yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment