Sunday, May 20, 2012

Does this make Laura my beer-buddy-in-law?

The most wonderful thing happened on Saturday. Paul and Laura got married!


Congratulations to a truly beautiful couple. It was really an honor to be part of such an awesome day. The ceremony was great, the weather was incredible, the company was excellent. And yes, there was beer. Paul chose two brews from Williamsburg Alewerks which went over pretty well--

Red Marker Ale: Good, hoppy amber ale. The website talks about all of this fruit but it came off as more of just slightly sweeter hops. If you've been reading our updates over the past few years, you know that I was not into hoppy beers until more recently, so I understand how people find them offensive. However, this is a pretty accessible hoppy-ish beer. Either ALL of Paul and Laura's people are into fancy beers, or people were just enjoying the slight bitterness in this otherwise very smooth, pleasant, refreshing brew. I had several.

White Ale: My favorite beers are ones that look like black paint or ones that are wheat-related. This was a very fresh Belgian witbier. Paul described it quite well as being similar to Sam Adam's Summer Ale but more orangey instead of lemony. Not one to turn down a new brew for my list, much less a recommendation from my beer buddy, I went to the bar and asked for it. No one knew what I was talking about. It wasn't until I insisted that the groom himself told me to go try it that someone went and found the case that was hiding in a refrigerator somewhere. I'm not much into fruity beers, but this wasn't overly sweet, just a really clean, refreshing drink.

People kept asking me if I approved of the beers. Of course I did. If I didn't approve of Paul's taste in beer, this blog would not exist.

Hopefully now that they have moved past the wedding part of their lives and into the marriage part, we'll start hearing from Paul (and Laura?!) more. Congratulations again to you both-- I look forward to sharing many years of happiness with you both (and maybe also a few beers).

2 comments:

  1. Hint taken - we will have to try more beers soon, and I'll do my best to get Paul to actually write about them. So far, I have only had one of the bridal shower beers and it was delicious (I had it to celebrate finishing finals). Brought another with us for this weekend - I think we are doing beer, pizza, and the Devils tonight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly tease. You two are about three thousand times busier than I am these days! So glad to hear you're enjoying yourself-- go NJ!

    ReplyDelete